Thursday, October 23, 2008

it smells like pumpkins

I've been concerned with improving my best team for the playoff run, but the one big trade I did make (Romo/Hines Ward for Brees/SJax) has proven that you can't really plan ahead. I always thought that was a good deal, since I liked Bowe nearly as much as Ward for a 3rd receiver and Brees had better fantasy playoff potential than Romo based on matchups. What I didn't expect was that Romo would get injured. It could just as easily have been one of my guys who'd gone down, and made the trade look foolish or, more accurately, unlucky.

We start QB/RBx2/WRx3/TE/K/Def in this league. Playoffs for 4 teams; wk 15&16

My roster:

QB - Brees, Cutler

Two top-5 QBs...I can still deal one for value, though I want to stick with Brees and Cutler has been less amazing of late

RB - Barber, SJax, Forte, Earnest Graham

3 top 10 RBs is a bit much, but I would want insurance if I dealt one of them. Graham's a great 4th option to have at RB, but I haven't been able to deal him for anything. I may have been trying too hard to be cute and package him, but no one in the league seems interested in this guy.

WR - Wayne, Marshall, Bowe, Chambers, Antonio Bryant

Apparently two top-5 WRs is enough to get you somewhere if the rest of your team is good. Bowe's got QB problems but is solid, Chambers' injury has lingered, and Bryant is not that amazing. The lack of droppable RBs means Bryant is the first to hit waivers if something goes wrong, even though my depth here isn't great.

TE - Anthony Fasano

I avoided burning #2 waiver priority for Kevin Walter. I'd rather deal for a TE, but that's not necessarily likely at this point. Fasano obviously looked real good at the start of the season, but he was always splitting catches a bit with Martin. I think he can post a few big games still, but I'm not holding out for much here.

K - Prater, Gostkowski

Ok, so my #1 drop after this week will be a kicker. I don't know if Prater's going to be worth keeping around or not, but I had room to try it here.

DEF - Tennessee

Amazing how I'm not at all afraid of their matchup with the Colts. Remember when you used to think you'd need to pick up a different D when Indianapolis loomed on the schedule. That being said, Titans are the premiere fantasy defense thus far, so you have to stick with them against just about anyone.

No comments: