Friday, August 13, 2010

it's that time of the year

i am visiting my parents. there's a temptation while here to live a slightly different life than i normally do, and maybe that's the whole point of vacation. i have noticed that i treat my email and phone differently than i would if i were home. i wonder whether that is the secret to enjoying getting away. now, it's not like i have a boss calling me up, but the distance from my social home is probably an okay thing. i don't know if there are people who think i'm ignoring them; i did try to warn folks that i was leaving for a while.

i am also traveling back in time via my own posted writings. not from here, of course. it does strike me as funny that i almost wrote a post tonight mentioning the unusual nature of my old 97s fandom and then i randomly clicked two posts from september 2007, both of which turned out to be about the old 97s. not unthinkable, but an amusing coincidence.

i noticed while writing all of this, however, that i am not going to be able to honestly maintain my strong pro-kathryn calder stance. her new solo material seems fine, but it definitely seems like something i would listen to for a few months and then forget. there's nothing wrong with that; i think it's perfectly all right for an album to make you happy for a short period of time. i just don't think i'll bother obtaining hers, and that makes me slightly sad.

No comments: