Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Trade time begins?

Having just drafted Saturday, I'm not sure it's really time to trade anyone. I could probably use some power at the outfield positions, but I'm not sure I have a surplus of anything else to trade for that. Someone wanted to give me David Dejesus, AJ Burnett, and Brett Myers for Carlos Gomez, James Shields, and Taylor Buckholtz. I don't want any of the players he offered, and I want to keep all of the players he wanted. I wanted to try making a counter-offer, but I don't even know which of my guys is his real target. Assuming it's Gomez, I can't see trading the guy when he and Crisp are my only real speed threats not named Willy Taveras. Berkman and Carlos Guillen will get a couple steals, but not enough to get me anywhere if I trade Gomez.

Incidentally, I actually drafted Taveras in my original league, barely ever played him, and did fine in steals. That's H2H, though; Taveras was like a secret weapon in case I was getting desperate for a category win in steals any particular week. I wasn't, and with 5 other OFs (Carlos Quentin, Hart, Carlos Lee, Granderson, and Pence), I finally made a lousy trade and got Daniel Cabrera for him. No one in that leagure seemed to want Taveras, but his SB prowess this year is definitely worth something...especially if he starts hitting for real.

No comments: